Most people rate themselves as “better than average” on any desirable trait — which, of course, is a statistical impossibility.
‘Average’ can be defined as a level or standard that is considered to be typical for a particular place, group of people, type of business, etc. However, the world is designed around the needs of average people. Nothing would function if the majority of us were outliers. You are not doomed to be average, because being average in many aspects of your life will actually give you an advantage. However, being different is fun, exciting, and can lead to rewards and riches. It also comes with a cost of extra time, more expectations, increased responsibility, and greater stress.
At Desired Health Chiropractic, we have the mindset that each patient is unique and that no two injuries or health problems are the same. This leads to a more challenging treatment approach, but it also gets results that are “above average.”
Here are five things athletes implement to propel themselves above and beyond the status quo:
- They work on themselves globally. They do not train just sports specific. They know that their body must work in all realms. Kickers must have strong legs, but also core strength to support the power behind the kick and flexibility to control leg movements.
- They keep their body fine tuned perfectly. Professional level athletes utilize regular chiropractic care, because they know it is better to prevent an injury then try to fix one later. They consider signals that the body gives as warning signs it is not working to its full potential. Headaches, anxiety, muscle aches, tingling sensations, scattered thoughts are signs that the nervous system is irritated and not communicating properly.
- They have a plan and checklist for every situation. Like a pilot has an emergency checklist to keep them calm during issues so they can work through them. When everything goes wrong, how do you handle it with grace and serenity to improve your chances?
Here is an example pre-game checklist: Physical check (how do you feel), Equipment check (is everything available and in working order), Team check (are you communicating well), Fundamentals check (always practice the basics), Mental check (keep a mindset of confidence).
- They have a positive mindset when things get tough. They never quit, even after failure, losses, or struggle. Problems along the road to success will either hold you back or serve as a tool to guide you forward. Average athletes are slow to change lanes when things don’t go their way. Ultra successful athletes will always jump to the fast lane even when it may seem dangerous, but their confidence and determination is what pushes them forward at a faster speed.
- They decide what they are willing to sacrifice. Are you going to train, eat right, go to the chiropractor and truly take care of your health, get your mind right, and work when everyone else is rotting their brains watching t.v. and surfing the internet?
Mohamaded Ali summed it up perfectly when he said, “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'”
Maybe we won’t all be championship fighters, but we each hold a unique talent that is waiting to be expressed. At Desired Health Chiropractic, we strive to help turn your dreams into reality by giving your body the best way to operate. Schedule an examination with us today to see how we can help you feel better, function better, and perform better.